Employment Based We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

New Jersey Employment-Based Green Card Lawyer

Helping Clients Obtain Permanent Residency Since 1987

Green cards can be obtained through certain employment relationships under one of USCIS' preference paths to lawful permanent residency. Some preference categories require employer sponsorship, others do not. At the Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. our employment-based green card attorney in Union City can assist in evaluating the employment need and can provide the guidance necessary to achieve the objectives sought.

Request a consultation online or call (800) 909-8129 to speak with an employment-based green card attorney in New Jersey today. Se habla Español.

The Employment-Based Green Card Process

Most employment categories require that the U.S. employer completes a labor certification for the applicant and submits it to the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration. The labor certification contains various attestations about the position offered to protect American jobs and the Department of Labor must either grant or deny the certification request.

If the certification is required and obtained, USCIS must review and approve an immigrant visa petition filed by the employer for the worker wishing to immigrate to the United States.

The State Department will give the applicant an immigrant visa number, even if the applicant is already in the United States. When the applicant receives the number, it means that an immigrant visa has been assigned to the applicant. Visa numbers are controlled by the Department of State and listed in the Department of State's Visa Bulletin.

  • If the applicant is already in the U.S., they must apply to adjust to permanent resident status after a visa number becomes available.
  • If the applicant is outside the United States, they will be notified and must complete the process at their local U.S. consulate office.

Employment-Based Visa Categories

There are four major categories for employment-based visas:

  1. Employment First Preference (EB1)
  2. Employment Second Preference (E2)
  3. Employment Third Preference (E3)
  4. Employment Fourth Preference (E4)

Below, our green card attorney in New Jersey will go into a detailed break down of each preference.

About EB1 - Extraordinary Ability

EB1 covers aliens with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, multi-national corporate executives or managers.

This category is for "that small percentage who have risen to the very top of their field of endeavor." Examples of a major internationally recognized award is the Nobel Prize. Other awards may also qualify if the award is in the same class as a Nobel Prize.

Persons of extraordinary ability are those who can show extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. Applicants in this category must have extensive documentation showing sustained national or international acclaim and recognition in the field of expertise. They do not need a specific job offer as long as they have evidence that they are entering the U.S. to continue work in the field in which they have extraordinary ability. Such applicants do not need an employer to submit a petition to USCIS on their behalf since they are permitted to "self-petition." Labor Certification is not necessary.

Other Qualifications for EB1

Because few workers receive the Nobel Prize or a similar type of award, USCIS accepts the alternative evidence outlined below as long as at least three are satisfied. Other comparable evidence may be submitted if the following criteria do not apply:

  • Receipt of a lesser nationally or internationally recognized prize or award for excellence;
  • Membership in associations in the field that demands outstanding achievement of their members;
  • Published material about the alien;
  • Evidence that the alien is a judge of the works of others in the field;
  • Evidence of the alien's original contribution of major significance to the field;
  • Authorship of scholarly articles;
  • Display of the alien's work at artistic exhibitions or showcases;
  • Evidence the alien has performed in a leading or critical role for organizations that have a distinguished reputation;
  • Evidence that the alien commands a high remuneration in relation to others in the field; or
  • Evidence of commercial success in the performing arts.

EB1 - Outstanding Professors and Researchers

Outstanding professors and researchers with at least three years' experience in teaching or research, who are recognized internationally in a specific academic field fit this classification. No labor certification is required, but the prospective employer must provide a job offer and file a petition with the USCIS. The employer need not be a university or educational institution. The employer can be a private company as long as that company employs at least three full time researchers. The private employer must also have documented accomplishments in the academic field for which the position is offered. The statute does not require the possession of a doctorate.

Requirements for EB-1

The outstanding professor or researcher must satisfy at least two of the following criteria:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards;
  • Membership in associations that require outstanding achievements;
  • Published material in professional journals written by others about the alien's work;
  • Participation as a judge in the works of others in the same or an allied field;
  • Original scientific or scholarly research contributions to the field; or
  • Authorship of scholarly books or articles in scholarly journals with international circulation in the field.

EB1 - Certain Multinational Executives and Managers

This category provides for the easy transfer of international business executives. A multinational executive or manager is one who has been employed outside the U.S. in a managerial or executive capacity for at least one of the three years immediately preceding the filing of the petition, or, in the case of a foreign worker present in the U.S., one of the three years preceding entry into the U.S. as a nonimmigrant.

The past employment must have been with the same employer, an affiliate, or a subsidiary of the employer and in a managerial or executive capacity. The foreign worker must be coming to the U.S. to work in a managerial or executive capacity for the same company that is a U.S. employer and that employer has been in business for one year or more. No labor certification is required for this classification, but the prospective employer must provide a job offer and file a petition with the USCIS.

The definition of a manager is as follows:

  • manages the organization or a department;
  • supervises and controls the work of other supervisory, professional, or managerial employees or manages an essential function within the organization, or a department or subdivision of the organization;
  • if another employee or other employees are directly supervised, has the authority to hire and fire or recommend those as well as other personnel actions or, if no other employee is directly supervised, functions at a senior level within the organizational hierarchy or with respect to the function managed; and
  • exercises discretion over the day-to-day operations of the activity or function for which the employee has authority.

The definition of executive capacity is as follows:

  • directs the management of the organization or a major component or function of the organization;
  • establishes the goals and policies of the organization, component, or function;
  • exercises wide latitude in discretionary decision making; and
  • receives only general supervision or direction from high level executives, the board of directors or stockholders of the organization.

Do you qualify for an EB-1 visa? Call (800) 909-8129 to speak with a an employment-based green card lawyer at The Law Office of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. ¡Hablamos Español!

E2 - Employment Second Preference

E2 second preference is for aliens who are members of the professionals holding advanced degrees or individuals of exceptional abilities in the sciences, arts or business. This category is for members of the profession holding advanced degrees or their equivalent, or who, because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business will substantially benefit prospectively the national, cultural, or educational interests or welfare of the United States, and whose services are sought by an employer in the United States.

In general, applicants must have a job offer and labor certification approved by the DOL. Exceptional ability applicants in the sciences, arts, or business, may apply to waive the labor certification requirement of a job offer if such a waiver would be in the national interest

Who Are Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees?

Professionals are those individuals holding advanced degree above a baccalaureate degree, i..e. a Master's Degree or its equivalent, or a Baccalaureate Degree and at least five years progressive experience in the profession.

What is Considered Exceptional Ability?

Persons may show exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, athletics or business. Exceptional ability means having a degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered within the field and this ability will substantially benefit the national economy, culture, educational interests or the welfare of the U.S.

This is established by showing at least three of the following six criteria:

  • An official academic record showing a degree, diploma, certificate or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to the area of the alien's exceptional ability;
  • At least ten years of full-time experience in the occupation documented by letters from current or past employers;
  • A license to practice the profession or certification from the particular profession or occupation;
  • Evidence that the alien has earned a salary or other remuneration for the services demonstrating exceptional ability;
  • Membership in professional associations;
  • Recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field by peers, government entities or professional or business organizations; and
  • Other comparable evidence is also acceptable.

E3 - Employment Third Preference

People who fall in this category are skilled workers, professionals, and other unskilled workers.

A skilled worker must have two years training or experience, and the job may not be temporary or seasonal.

A professional must hold a U.S.-level or equivalent baccalaureate degree and be a member of one of the professions. The job offered must require a baccalaureate degree for entry into the particular occupation.

Other workers include non-temporary or seasonal unskilled laborers.

There are several requirements that must be met in this category:

  • The alien must be offered a full time, permanent position;
  • The Department of Labor must certify (approve a labor certification) that there are no available U.S. workers to fill the position;
  • The alien must meet the minimum requirements for the position offered and the employer must demonstrate an ability to pay the salary offered

A) Skilled Workers Defined:
Skilled workers are those in positions that require a minimum of two years of training or experience. Relevant post-secondary education counts as training. Note that simply because the alien possesses two years of experience does not make that a skilled position.

B) Professionals Defined:
Professionals must possess a baccalaureate degree or a foreign degree equivalent and the petitioner must demonstrate that such a degree is the normal requirement for entry into the occupation.

C) Other Workers Defined:
Other workers are those persons capable of filling positions requiring less than two years' training or experience. The current backlog for this category is approximately 6 years.

E4 - Employment Forth Preference

This category is for Special immigrants (religious workers).

There are six subgroups:

  1. Religious workers coming to carry on the vocation of a minister of religion, or to work in a professional capacity in a religious vocation, or to work for a tax-exempt organization affiliated with a religious denomination;
  2. Certain overseas employees of the U.S. Government;
  3. Former employees of the Panama Canal Company;
  4. Retired employees of international organizations;
  5. Certain dependents of international organization employees; and
  6. Certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

This category has substantial documentation requirements. Please contact us for more information.

E5 - Employment Fifth Preference

To qualify, an alien must invest $500,000 in a targeted employment area (rural areas or areas experiencing high unemployment of at least 150% of the national average) or $1,000,000, anywhere else. The new development must create at least 10 new full-time jobs for U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens, or other lawful immigrants, not including the investor and his or her family.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. have helped over 10,000 business and individuals with their immigration matters. If you're applying for an EB visa, speak with our firm to learn your options, become educated about the application process, and maximize your chance for a successful resolution.

Get Skilled Help With Your Employment-Based Green Card

If you're not sure which EB visa you qualify for, or if you qualify at all? Get answers by scheduling an initial consultation with the Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. In your first appointment, your New Jersey EB visa lawyer will review your personal history, family history, and immigration record to determine which visa you are eligible for. Our approach allows us to lay out all of your options for entry in the United States, allowing you to make an informed decision about the path you take.

Since 1987, our green card lawyer has resolved over 10,000 immigration cases for our clients in New Jersey. Our team has the knowledge, experience, and insight when it comes to helping you complete your EB visa application for the highest chance of success. While we never promise results, we can promise to provide the highest quality legal service.

We look forward to helping you achieve your objectives quickly and efficiently. Call (800) 909-8129 today. Our services are available in English and Spanish.

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:How is a personal injury claim different from a personal injury lawsuit?

    A:Many victims are unsure what legal actions they should take to pursue fair compensation for their injuries. If you wish to hold the person responsible for your injuries liable, it is important to know the differences between a claim and a lawsuit.

  • Q:What is negligence?

    A:Negligence is one of the key aspects of any personal injury case. Negligence occurs when a person or party does not act with the proper amount of care and caution that a reasonable person would use to prevent harm or injury to another individual, or when the person or party does something harmful that a careful and reasonable person would not have done in a similar situation.

  • Q:How important is negligence to my case?

    A:Negligence is perhaps the most integral factor in an injury claim or lawsuit, and in order to fight for justice against the liable party (also called the defendant), you must first be able to prove their negligence and that it is the direct cause of your injuries.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.