Call for a Consultation 800.909.8129
Se Habla Español

Know Your Rights Dedicated to protecting your rights.

We will handle your case with the personal attention you deserve.

Injured Workers' Rights in New Jersey

What Are My Rights After Being Injured on the Job?

If you have been injured on the job, it is important to understand that you have rights. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for employers to take advantage of their employees' lack of knowledge after a workplace accident, so it is crucial that you understand, and safeguard, your own rights. First and foremost, you should be aware of the benefits that you are afforded under the state's workers' compensation laws. In New Jersey, all employers are required to purchase workers' compensation insurance on behalf of their employees – with very few exceptions.

This means that you may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Past & future medical care: this includes the costs associated with medical treatment, prescription medications, hospital services and ongoing rehabilitation.
  • Lost earnings: this would be awarded at a rate of 70% of your average weekly wage, which cannot exceed 75% of the statewide average weekly wage (SAWW).
  • Permanent partial disability: this would be awarded if you have suffered a permanent impairment, but are still able to return to work in some capacity.
  • Permanent total disability: this would be awarded if you have suffered a permanent impairment that has prohibited you from ever returning to work.

Since this is considered to be "no-fault" insurance coverage, you would be able to recover benefits regardless of who was at fault for the accident – including yourself. However, this also means that you would be barred from taking legal action against your employer; by accepting workers' compensation benefits, you inadvertently agree not to pursue a claim against your employer. The only situation in which you could seek additional damages, outside of workers' compensation, would be if a third party's negligence has caused the accident.

What Qualifies as a "Work-Related" Injury?

When determining whether or not you qualify for workers' compensation benefits, you must first determine whether or not you have suffered a "work-related" injury. According to N.J.S.A. 34:15-1, this can include any injury that occurs out of and in the course of your employment. This means that you must have been injured while at your place of work, during the hours that you were expected to be there and while engaging in a task that you were hired to do.

This also includes any injuries that were suffered while traveling for work or conducting work at another place when ordered to do so by your employer. If you have questions about your own eligibility, please contact a New Jersey workers' compensation lawyer at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C.

You Have the Right to File an Appeal

Was your workers' compensation claim denied? If so, it is important to understand that you have the right to file an appeal. Your employer may dispute that you were injured at work, claim that your injury came about through other circumstances or that you are not really injured at all, but you have the right to file a claim petition.

Your claim may have been denied for a number of different reasons, so it is highly recommended that you bring your case to a New Jersey workers' compensation attorney at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. Our firm has been assisting injured workers throughout the state since 1987.

Send Us A Message

The right attorney can make all the difference. Contact our team today.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Conveniently Located At

4713 Bergenline Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087

Signs You May Have a Worker’s Comp Claim

Speak with our attorneys today to talk about your situation and we will walk you through your options.

Box of tools

Common Questions

  • Do I need a workers’ compensation attorney for my injury case?

    Yes, you need an attorney. If you’re visiting this site, have questions about your rights, and have been injured in a work-related accident, you may be entitled to collect money by filing a formal claim with the NJ Workers’ Compensation Courts. Only a NJ licensed lawyer can file a formal claim. If you do not file the formal claim, you will not collect what you are entitled to, and your rights to medical treatment may be affected.

  • Will I lose my job if I file a formal claim with an attorney?

    No, it is against the law for an employer to discriminate against them for filing a workers’ compensation claim in NJ. If you are fired for filing a claim, you must speak to a workers’ compensation attorney immediately to protect your rights.

  • What should I do if I have been injured while working in New Jersey?

    Notify your employer immediately. Speak with your supervisor or someone else of authority at your work. Notifications do not have to be in writing—however, it may benefit you to have evidence that you notified your employer. If you intend to seek medical treatment for your injuries, this should be requested through your employer as well.

Read More

Stellar Reviews

Don’t take our word for it – see what past clients are saying about the firm!