On January 20, 2021, President Biden issued several orders on immigration. Some orders take immediate effect while others may take more time to be implemented. If you think these policies affect you, contact a lawyer or legal service provider.
Among the changes are:
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) remains in place.
- Deportations* were paused for 100 days (starting January 22), with some exceptions, and new enforcement policies will be adopted.
- Travel bans** barring entry for nationals of certain Muslim-majority and African nations were revoked.
- Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) protection was extended for Liberian nationals until June 30, 2022.
- Enrollments in the Migrant Protection Protocols that keep asylum seekers waiting in Mexico were suspended — but it is unclear how cases will be handled at the border.
*On January 26, a district court temporarily prevented the government from implementing the 100-day pause.
**The travel bans applied to nationals from Burma, Eritrea, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Nigeria, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Venezuela, and Yemen.
Will Congress Pass an Immigration Bill?
President Biden has proposed a sweeping immigration bill that would make more people eligible for legal status. AILA will be advocating for Congress to pass this bill and other bills that improve the U.S. immigration system. At this time, Congress has not passed any immigration bill into law. This means that no new options to apply for legal status have been created, and no broad legalization program has been adopted.
For our immigrant clients, that means being careful of notarios who claim that there are new options for obtaining legal status. Beware of notario fraud!
How Quickly Will Change Occur?
Although there have been many announcements with promised changes, many of them will take time to be implemented. Policies, rules, and laws will need to be put in place first. This means you may not see an immediate impact or be able to access new benefits in the short term.
Where Can I Get More Information?
Contact The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett Esq., P.C. for a confidential consultation about your immigration case. Our firm has handled thousands of immigration cases, helping businesses, families, and individuals build a new life for themselves while navigating the complicated immigration system. Speak with us today to get answers to your questions.