The Dream Act is the common name for the Development Relief and Education Act for Minors. This Act was introduced to Congress in 2009 but didn't pass until 2012. It was designed to give immigration benefits to immigrants who had come to this country as children before the age of 16. Other requirements must be met to be eligible for the benefits which include relief from deportation in the form of deferred action for two years, which can then be renewed.
The criteria for qualifying for deferred action under the Dream Act are:
- That you entered the U. S. prior to the age of 16
- That you have lived in the U. S. continuously for a period of five years prior to June 15, 2012
- That you currently attend school or have graduated or have earned a G.E.D. or have been honorably discharged from the armed services or the Coast Guard
- That you have no criminal convictions of serious misdemeanors, multiple misdemeanors, or felonies
- That you are not a threat to public safety or national security
- That you are not more than 30 years old
Each person who applies under the Dream Act will have their application reviewed on an individual basis. It is up to you to supply documentation proving the above points of eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Serving New Jersey
Applying for the benefits of the Dream Act can be done with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer. Ensuring that your application is done properly and documented thoroughly is important for a smooth process. That can be accomplished with the help of The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq. P.C.
Mr. Bennett is a seasoned New Jersey attorney in the field of immigration law. He has been practicing in this field since 1987 and has helped more than 10,000 individuals with all types of immigration issues. Because of his outstanding legal service he has earned a 10 out of 10 Superb rating by Avvo, which ranks lawyers and law firms. He has also been recognized by Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America. All of these distinctions reflect the top quality you will find at his firm. Put your immigration matter into capable hands – contact Mr. Bennett's law offices for a consultation today.