Wrongful Death Suit Filed Against Hit and Run Driver

A wrongful death suit was recently filed in New Jersey Superior Court against a 30-year-old man who was convicted of leaving the scene of a fatal accident that occurred in 2011.The accident happened in mid August two years ago when R.A, a 54-year-old man, was riding his bicycle. Police and emergency services were notified at about 6:00 a.m. when they received a call about a man lying on a lawn of a home near the roadway. R.A. had suffered severe injuries after being apparently hit by a car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators found a piece of red plastic at the accident site which was believed to be from a specific late model Mercedes-Benz sedan. The incident was highly publicized and police asked for the public's help in locating the car suspected of being involved in the hit and run death of the bicyclist. Authorities received a tip two days later, when a caller reported seeing a red 1992 Mercedes in a local parking lot. Police went to the location and found a car with substantial damage to the passenger side of the front windshield, blood stains, and damage to the front passenger side headlight. The piece of plastic found at the accident site was matched to the car.

Police found that the car in question was registered to a 28-year-old man, S.G. He was charged and pled guilty in March 2012 to leaving the scene of a fatal accident. S.G. was sentenced to five years in prison but was released on parole this past June. R.A.'s family subsequently filed a wrongful death suit against the man alleging that he "acted negligently and failed to use reasonable care and due circumspection in operating his vehicle".

If you believe that another party's negligence or recklessness resulted in a fatal accident which killed a spouse, parent, child or other family member, then you may have grounds to file a lawsuit to hold them accountable for their actions. The experienced New Jersey wrongful death attorney at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. can advocate on your behalf and help your family fight for justice. Contact our firm as soon as possible to discuss your case and legal options.