New Jersey R-1 Visa Lawyer
Acquiring a Visa for Religious Workers
An R-1 religious worker visa is for a foreign national who is coming to the United States temporarily to be employed as a minister or in another religious vocation or occupation at least part time (average of at least 20 hours per week) by:
- A non-profit religious organization in the United States;
- A religious organization that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or
- A non-profit religious organization which is affiliated with a religious denomination in the United States.
This visa program is intended for religious workers whose lives are dedicated to religious practices and functions, as distinguished from secular members of the religion.
To qualify, the foreign national must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately before the filing of the petition. The visa is valid of for up to thirty (30) months and can be renewed but cannot exceed five (5) years. Family members and children under twenty-one (21) may be eligible to accompany R-1 visa holders with R-2 visas.
Documents Required for an R-1 Visa
- Proof that you are working as a minister of religion, or in a religious vocation or occupation, for a bonafide, non-profit religious organization or denomination that is exempt from taxation
- Proof that you have been a member of the religious organization for at least two years prior to your application
- A contract from the employer in the U.S.
- Proof that the that the employer can support the applicant above the poverty line such as bank statements or audited financial reports, past compensation of members in similar positions
- Recommendation letters;
- IRS-documentation of the tax-exempt status of the religious organization in the U.S form 506 (c).
- Evidence that you are qualified for the work designated in the U.S.
- Proof of salaried or non-salaried compensation
- Physical address of congregation for onsite USCIS inspection.
Only an Immigration Lawyer Can Offer Legal Advice for Your Visa Application
When applying for an R-1 visa, choosing seasoned legal counsel is vital to meeting your objectives. The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. provides initial consultations to help you determine if you are eligible for a religious worker visa. We exhaustively review your records, immigration history, and family history to learn your options and give you insight into all your options for coming to the U.S. There's not just one path to your goal—our job is to help you find the path that will best serve your purposes.
Since starting our firm in 1987, our New Jersey immigration attorneys have helped more than 10,000 individuals and businesses secure visas, green cards, and much more. We have the knowledge, experience, and insight to guide your case down the path of most-likely success while informing you about every step of the process. As soon as clients hire us, we immediately get to work on their behalf. Get an initial consultation to get started today.
Only an immigration lawyer can give you legal advice. Call (800) 909-8129 or contact us online for help with your R-1 visa application.