Call for a Consultation 800.909.8129
Se Habla Español

Visas for Entertainers & Athletes Dedicated to protecting your rights.

We will handle your case with the personal attention you deserve.

P-1 Visa Lawyer in New Jersey

Immigration Assistance for Performing Entertainers and Athletes

The P-1 visa classification allows certain athletes, entertainers, and artists into the United States along with their staff needed for support of the production.

The category has two general classifications: P-1A visas for athletes, and P-1B visas for groups of entertainers.

P-1A Visas for Individual & Team Athletes

P-1A visas are granted to individual athletes and sports teams who compete at an international level. Individuals who qualify for the visa must have achieved high levels of acclaim in multiple countries. The visa grants a stay of five (5) years to a maximum of ten (10) years. Teams who qualify for this visa must be coming to the U.S. to compete in a "distinguished event" and have a record of international acclaim in the sport. Teams with the P-1A visa can stay for up to one (1) year.

On top of supporting letters, contracts, and itineraries, qualifying athletes need two (2) of the following items:

  • Evidence of "significant participation" in a major U.S. sports league in a previous season
  • Evidence of "significant participation" with a national team in international competition
  • Evidence of "significant participation" for a U.S. college team in intercollegiate competition
  • A written statement from an official in the applicable U.S. sports league or organization that vouches for the individual or team's international recognition
  • A written statement from a recognized sports reporter or expert that vouches for the individual or team's international recognition
  • Official international ranking for the team or individual if the sport has international rankings
  • Proof of significant honors or awards in the sport

P-1B Visas for Acclaimed Entertainment Groups

The P-1B visa is granted to entertainment groups with a record of substantial and sustained acclaim. In addition, at least 75% of the group's members must have sustained membership for more than one (1) year. This visa is not available for individual entertainers. The group must have achieved exceptional levels of international acclaim (compared with other performers in the same field).

On top of contracts, supporting letters, and itineraries, the group must have three (3) of the following items:

  • Past or expected performances as the headliner at an event with a "distinguished reputation" (evidenced by reviews, advertisements, publications, press releases, contracts, or endorsements)
  • Past or expected performances as the headliner at an acclaimed establishment (as evidenced by publications in newspapers, trade journals, magazines, etc.)
  • Proof of international acclaim (evidenced by reviews in major publications, newspapers, magazines, etc.)
  • Proof of commercial or critical success (evidenced by ratings, box office earnings, record sales, or other reported achievements)
  • Proof of critical achievements provided by critics, organizations, and experts in the field.
  • Proof of high salaries or compensation for performance compared to other performers in the field (evidenced by contracts or other "reliable evidence")

P Visas for Family Members & Support Staff

P-4 visas are available for family members and P-1S visas for supporting personnel is available.

Get Legal Assistance for your P-1 Visa Application

Only an attorney can offer legal counsel and assistance with your P-1 visa. The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. offers initial consultations to help callers determine if they are eligible. During the first appointment, we exhaustively review your records, immigration history, and family history to lay out all of your options for coming to the U.S. As a result, we can choose the path that will provide your P-1 application with the best chance of success.

Since 1987, our New Jersey immigration attorneys have helped over 10,000 organizations and individuals secure specialized visas, green cards, visa extensions, and more. We have the knowledge, skill, and insight to solve your P-1 visa application with speed and efficiency. Our team promises to keep our clients educated and informed about every step of the process, addressing all questions and concerns quickly. Contact us today for your consultation.

For effective help with an athlete or entertainer's visa, it is best to contact a New Jersey immigration lawyer from our offices.

Send Us A Message

The right attorney can make all the difference. Contact our team today.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Conveniently Located At

4713 Bergenline Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087

Find Out About Your Immigration Options

Speak with our attorneys today to talk about your situation and we will walk you through your options.

American flag

Common Questions

  • I am a fiancée of a U.S. citizen living outside the U.S. How can I enter the U.S. to marry?

    Your fiancée must apply for a Fiancée Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa. The visa is for parties who have physically met within the past two years, have an intent to marry, and can document a relationship together. The visa is only for those who are residing abroad and cannot be used if the alien is in the US. The application is filed from within the US and when approved, will be forwarded to the American Consular where the alien fiancée will apply for the visa and be interviewed by an officer - usually about 8-12 months from the date of filing.

  • I live in the U.S. and I am marrying a U.S. citizen. How can I get a green card and become a permanent resident?

    Assuming you have entered the US with a visa or are protected by an old law called 245i, you may be eligible to adjust status to receive a green card from within the US. If you have been illegally present for more than 6 months, you cannot travel until the green card is in hand. Current processing time is about 5-7 months.

  • I live outside the U.S. and I married a U.S citizen. How can I come to the U.S. to live?

    To enter the US after a marriage to a US Citizen, you would go through Consular Processing. Paperwork would be filed in the US and forwarded to the embassy abroad to schedule an interview. The processing time frame from start to finish is between 9-11 months, depending on the embassy abroad. The process is document-intensive and requires careful attention to detail.

Read More

Conferences & Speaking Engagements

Staying Current to Provide Our Clients the Best Protection

Our Founding Attorney Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq. is one of the rare attorneys with as many as 30 plus years of experience in the field who possess the drive to constantly learn more to better advocate for his clients. Immigration law is a field that changes constantly as world politics unfold, new leaders front the United States and immigration processes change. In order to stay on top of this, Attorney Bennett remains an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) based in Washington D.C. and the New Jersey Chapter of AILA for which he is a former chapter chair. Attorney Bennett constantly attends conferences and presentations which analyze changes in immigration law and procedure to provide the most up to date advice for his clients. He is also a frequent speaker at civic events in New Jersey. His role in the immigration law community keeps his representation on the cutting edge.

Stellar Reviews

Don’t take our word for it – see what past clients are saying about the firm!