Visitor Visas We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

New Jersey Visitor Visa Attorney

Call (800) 909-8129 for Help With B-1 and B-2 Visitor Visas

At The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C., our New Jersey immigration lawyers can provide assistance in obtaining visitor visas, whether for business or for pleasure. We have handled thousands of cases for clients facing a wide variety of visa-related issues, and we want to put our experience to work helping you achieve your purposes in the United States.

Learn more about the B-1 and B-2 visitor visas below, as well as the ESTA visa waiver program, which allows for travel to the U.S. without a visitor visa if you are eligible.

Contact a visitor visa lawyer in New Jersey online or call (800) 909-8129 to schedule a consultation. We're backed by proven success since 1987. Se habla Español.

What Is a Visitor Visa?

Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas—they are for foreign citizens who want to enter the United States for a temporary stay. Whether for recreational traveling purposes or otherwise, a visitor visa may be a smart choice for someone seeking entry into the country for a brief period of time. Types of visitor visas include B-1 visa, B-2 visa, or a combination of both purposes B-1/B-2 visa.

What is the Difference Between B-1 and B-2?

B-1 visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for citizens of foreign countries. Generally, those entering the country for business is categorized as a B-1 visa, while pleasure or tourist activities is categorized as B-2. These visas are frequently used by foreign nationals who wish to engage in legitimate business activities such as conventions, conferences, and permissible activities.

How to Apply for B-1 Visa

To qualify as a nonimmigrant visitor for business, the person applying must intend to keep their foreign residence abroad, show that they have sufficient means of support during their stay, and establish that he or she intends to leave the United States at the end of the temporary stay.

Benefits and Limitations of B-1

Visas are typically issues for six months, and extensions can be granted in six-month increments, although most are no longer than 3 months. A business visitor will generally be granted only a period of entry necessary to conduct business such as research, litigation, consulting, and commercial transactions. The business visa is ideal for U.S. companies desiring to bring overseas workers to the United States for brief periods and to assist with important projects.

The B-1 visa comes with the following allowances and limitations:

  • The B-1 Visa holder cannot work in the U.S.
  • The visit should be associated with international trade
  • The visit should benefit the company abroad
  • Employee cannot be paid by a U.S. entity
  • Work in the U.S. cannot be controlled by the U.S. entity

Have questions about the application process or need more information about B-1? Call (800) 909-8129 to speak with a visitor visa attorney in NJ today!

What is a B-2 Visa and How Do You Qualify?

While the majority of these are for tourism, travel, major sporting events, and visiting friends and family, this is also the visa you might pursue if you were seeking to enter the United States for medical purposes. If several members of your family are planning on visiting, each must submit a separate visitor visa application. The B-2 visas are usually granted for six months, even if the period of your stay is actually going to be less than that. Employment is not allowed in the visitor visa category.

In order to get a visitor visa, you must have:

  • A valid passport that does not expire for at least six months past the time you are planning on leaving after your visit.
  • You are required to provide a current photo of yourself, and only a specific format and size is acceptable.

B-2 Visa Application Process

During the application process, you're going to be asked for information in addition to your required documentation.

You must include proof that:

  • Your stay is for a limited duration of time
  • You intend to depart at the expiration of stay
  • You are maintaining a foreign residence that you intend to return to
  • You maintain ties to your home country
  • You have adequate financial resources to support yourself during this time
  • You will engage in legitimate visitor activities. If visiting friends and relatives, you will need letters of invitation from them noting the same.

Applying for a B-2 Tourist / Visitor Visa

After the application is submitted, you will be required to attend a visa interview, which is most often held at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. In some situations, it is possible to change visa categories from within the U.S. such as a student visa to a visitor or a J-1 (without 2 year home country requirement) to visitor visa.

The laws for immigration visas are complex and confusing. In order to ensure you will be able to travel legally as a visitor to the United States, it is very important to seek out a New Jersey visitor visa who can help you through the immigration process.

Need help applying for a B-2 visa? Reach out to our visitor visa lawyer in NJ for help!
Call (800) 909-8129 for a consultation. Spanish services available!

What is the ESTA Visa Waiver Program?

Certain individuals may be able to travel to the United States without a visitor visa. By using the ESTA visa waiver program, individuals may enter the U.S. for a 90-day period.

If you are admitted to the country under ESTA, you may also be able to take short trips to other parts of the continent, including Canada, Mexico, and nearby islands. However, there are several restrictions to how you're able to travel. Not everyone may be eligible to use a visa waiver.

About the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) Application

When applying to the VWP, keep in mind that the waiver does not exempt individuals from other requirements for travel to the U.S. You must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), and you must still meet the requirements of a B-class visitor visa for tourism or business.

We can help individuals through the application process and ensure all of the travel eligibility requirements are satisfied. A VWP may exempt someone from needing a visa, but it does not exempt them from international travel guidelines.

VWP Restrictions of Travel Purposes

Since you must meet the requirements of a B-class visitor visa when using the VWP, you may not engage in all kinds of travel purposes. Under the VWP program, you may not travel for study on credit, work in foreign information media, permanent residency, or employment.

Remember that this is in terms of the purpose of your travel—you may still be able to apply for permanent residency and a visa status change once you are in the United States, but the purpose of your travelling may not be only to apply for permanent residency. For example, if you enter the country on a VWP and later decide to marry a U.S. citizen, you may apply for permanent residency without having to leave. However, before you do you should speak to a lawyer.

Contact a New Jersey Visitor Visa Lawyer to Learn More!

We can work with you to obtain and prepare the proper documentation to apply for the visa you need. The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. offers the knowledge and experience to address all aspects of business and family-related immigration law. Because immigration law is federal law, our office is able to provide reasonably priced legal services to clients located anywhere in the United States.

Our firm has successfully assisted hundreds of businesses, firms, and individuals by simplifying the complex immigration process. Our clients include Fortune 500 corporations, major foreign multi-national companies, local corporations, and hundreds of satisfied individuals and families. Reach out to us today!

Getting a visitor visa takes time and preparation. We can ensure the process is handled quickly and effectively. Schedule a case consultation today!

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:I live in the US and I am marrying a US citizen. How can I get a green card and become a permanent resident?

    A:Assuming you have entered the US with a visa or are protected by an old law called 245i, you may be eligible to adjust status to receive a green card from within the US. If you have been illegally present for more than 6 months, you cannot travel until the green card is in hand. Current processing time is about 5-7 months.

  • Q:I am a fiancé(e) of a US citizen and I am living outside the US. How can I enter the US to marry?

    A:Your fiancée must apply for a Fiancée Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa. The visa is for parties who have physically met within the past two years, have an intent to marry, and can document a relationship together. The visa is only for those who are residing abroad and cannot be used if the alien is in the US. The application is filed from within the US and when approved, will be forwarded to the American Consular where the alien fiancée will apply for the visa and be interviewed by an officer - usually about 8-12 months from the date of filing.

  • Q:I live outside the US and I married a US citizen. How can I come to the US to live?

    A:To enter the US after a marriage to a US Citizen, you would go through Consular Processing. Paperwork would be filed in the US and forwarded to the embassy abroad to schedule an interview. The processing time frame from start to finish is between 9-11 months, depending on the embassy abroad. The process is document-intensive and requires careful attention to detail.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.