Student Visas We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

Student Visa Attorney in New Jersey

Want to Study in the U.S.? Call (800) 909-8129.

Student visas are available for foreign citizens seeking a full course of study at an established school in the United States. This type of visa has a restricted work opportunity that allows, under limited circumstances, these temporary visa holders to qualify for employment on campus.

There are many details and much documentation required to obtain an academic or vocational student visa, and these are best addressed by a New Jersey immigration attorney. The legal team at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. has the knowledge and skill to quickly and effectively pursue your application for this type of visa.

a student visa lawyer in New Jersey at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, ESq., P.C. can help. Call (800) 909-8129 or contact us online. Se habla Español.

Acquire a Visa for Academic & Vocational Purposes

There are several types of visas for students, based upon the term of the visit for study. For those who are planning to visit for a short period of time, a Visitor B visa application must be submitted. For those who are planning on studying at an American college or university, high school, a private elementary school, a seminary or conservatory, or other institution for a longer period of time, you will need an F-1 visa, which has specific requirements.

F-1 Student Visas

The foreign citizen applying for an Academic Student Visa (F-1) must come to the United States to pursue an academic program in an institution recognized by the United States government. There must be a valid educational purpose to qualify and the person must be a full time student.

F-1 Student Visa holders have the following allowances and limitations:

  • The student can stay in the United States for as long as he/she is enrolled in school.
  • Foreign students may enter the U.S. multiple times if they hold a valid F-1 Student Visa.
  • The person holding an F-1 visa also needs to maintain a valid passport.
  • The student may also work on campus as long as they are enrolled in school.

M-1 Vocational Visas

The M-1 Vocational Visa does not allow a foreign citizen to study generally in the United States. They must be involved in full time study. This includes a full course of study in a community or junior college, with at least 12 semester or quarter hours.

It must be in a school where anyone attending for at least 12 semester or quarter hours is charged full tuition, or considered full-time. The only exception is where you need a smaller course load to complete your course of study. There are various other options if one cannot meet these requirements, but either way, it has to be a certified Designated School Official (DSO) program.

How to Apply for a Student Visa in the United States

If you are accepted by the U.S. educational organization you are planning to attend, you must then be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, and pay a fee for enrollment in the program. After enrolling, you will be required to submit a form, the I-20, which must be presented to the U.S. consulate in your home country, when you appear for your visa interview.

If you plan on bringing your spouse and children to live with you during your term of study, each family member must submit a separate Form I-20, but your family is not required to pay the enrollment fee for the SEVIS. Certain student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your term of study in the U.S.

You will not be allowed to enter the country more than 30 days prior to the scheduled term of study. There are several requirements that must be fulfilled to apply for a student visa. You must have a valid passport, and it must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the time frame of the student visa for which you are applying. Each person travelling with you to the U.S.A. must submit a separate visa application.

The educational facility you are going to attend will have entered your information in the SEVIS database, and a form will be generated, Form I-20. This form must be signed by both you and a person from the school you plan to attend.

You may be required to submit added information, including your:

  • Academic record
  • Plans to leave the U.S. after your term of study
  • How you plan to pay for the costs of living and studying in the U.S.A.

Get Help from a Student Visa Lawyer in New Jersey

If you are planning to come to the country to get a degree or advanced degree, or for intensive study in a specific discipline, it is important that the process moves ahead smoothly and you are not denied access to the education you are seeking in the United States.

Our New Jersey immigration firm assists in all the details, allowing you to be confident that all submissions are correct and timely, increasing the chances of getting your student visa approved.

Contact The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. for more information about student visas.

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:How is a personal injury claim different from a personal injury lawsuit?

    A:Many victims are unsure what legal actions they should take to pursue fair compensation for their injuries. If you wish to hold the person responsible for your injuries liable, it is important to know the differences between a claim and a lawsuit.

  • Q:What is negligence?

    A:Negligence is one of the key aspects of any personal injury case. Negligence occurs when a person or party does not act with the proper amount of care and caution that a reasonable person would use to prevent harm or injury to another individual, or when the person or party does something harmful that a careful and reasonable person would not have done in a similar situation.

  • Q:How important is negligence to my case?

    A:Negligence is perhaps the most integral factor in an injury claim or lawsuit, and in order to fight for justice against the liable party (also called the defendant), you must first be able to prove their negligence and that it is the direct cause of your injuries.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.