K-3 (Spouses) We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

K-3 Temporary Visa for Spouses

New Jersey Immigration Attorneys Helping to Connect Families

The Department of Homeland Security allows spouses of United States citizens to obtain a temporary visa into the United States, under the right conditions, known as a K-3 visa. These are often paired with a K-4 visa, which is available to minor children of the foreign of the spouse to come with them into the United States for the same period of time allotted to the spouse.

While these are named temporary visas, the intention with those who obtain them is to turn them into a permanent stay, as well as for the children, and the government encourages this as long as the proper paper work is filled out and all of the other conditions are met. The K-3 serves as a place holder until the immigrating spouse can have their Form I-130 Petition passed by the Department of State.

Determining Your Eligibility

As mentioned before the K-3 and the K-4 often go hand in hand, and when used together, they tend to expire and stay active with each other. Eligibility is simple, but it still needs to be met.

Foreign spouses and their children are eligible if the following statements are true:

  • The immigrating spouse is married to a full United States citizen
  • The immigrating spouse has had their US citizen spouse file a Form I-130 on their behalf
  • The child is younger than 21 years old and is not married
  • The child is in fact the child of the qualified, K-3 immigrating spouse

The temporary visa comes with a number of benefits but also a number of limitations, as with most temporary visas, and the fate of their staying in the U.S. is dependent on the success of the I-130.

How a K-3 Temporary Visa May Expire

Remember that the K-3 is simply a placeholder for the Petition Alien Spouse Form I-130 that needs to be filed before the K-3 can even be granted. The Form I-130 will take a while, so the K-3 allows the wait to be endured legally and comfortably. Both for spouses and for their children, they can be voided in this time.

The most common reasons a K-3 or a K-4 would be expired are as follows:

  • The marriage between the citizen and immigrated spouse ends with divorce or is annulled
  • The State Department does not approve the Form I-130
  • The minor becomes married while in the United States
  • The minor turns 21 years old, and their parents have not filed for their Form I-130

Overall, the temporary visa is dependent on the success of the Form I-130 and the marriage between the immigrating spouse and the United States citizen. If successful, citizenship can be earned, and during even the K-3 waiting period, the immigrating individuals are often authorized to work in the U.S.

Call our offices today at (800) 909-8129 to get started with your Form I-130, establish your temporary K-3 visa, and start your new life with your spouse in the United states.

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:How is a personal injury claim different from a personal injury lawsuit?

    A:Many victims are unsure what legal actions they should take to pursue fair compensation for their injuries. If you wish to hold the person responsible for your injuries liable, it is important to know the differences between a claim and a lawsuit.

  • Q:What is negligence?

    A:Negligence is one of the key aspects of any personal injury case. Negligence occurs when a person or party does not act with the proper amount of care and caution that a reasonable person would use to prevent harm or injury to another individual, or when the person or party does something harmful that a careful and reasonable person would not have done in a similar situation.

  • Q:How important is negligence to my case?

    A:Negligence is perhaps the most integral factor in an injury claim or lawsuit, and in order to fight for justice against the liable party (also called the defendant), you must first be able to prove their negligence and that it is the direct cause of your injuries.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.