Call for a Consultation 800.909.8129
Se Habla Español

USCIS Green Card Lottery Dedicated to protecting your rights.

We will handle your case with the personal attention you deserve.

USCIS Green Card Lottery In New Jersey

Obtaining Green Cards Through Diversity Visa Lottery

Most people don't think that a person could win permanent residency through a lottery, but since 1995, the United States government has made available a total of 50,000 diversity visas each year through the Diversity Immigration Visa Lottery (also known as the Green Card Lottery, U.S. Visa Lottery, DV Lottery, or the U.S. Immigration Lottery). Visas offered through the DV Lottery grant a foreign national permanent residency and work status to winners.

The diversity visa lottery is a great opportunity to apply for a green card—however, the process must be performed correctly, and any errors or incorrect procedures could prevent an individual from receiving permanent residency. Our New Jersey immigration attorney is able to assist clients seeking a green card through the diversity visa lottery.

Our firm has helped thousands of clients facing a variety of immigration issues. Ensure you apply to the green card lottery with the strongest chance possible, and do not let any unnecessary errors get in the way!

How Do I Apply for the U.S. Visa Lottery?

To enter the lottery, you should meet the work experience and education requirements.

Generally, you may qualify in one of two ways:

  • Complete high school or equivalent education in your country
  • Have two or more years of work experience in the past five years

Besides these qualifications, you must also be eligible to enter the U.S. under immigration law. You must complete the application form and provide photographs. You may apply online without any filing fee. Once you have applied, you may be eligible for random selection by the U.S. State Department. If you are selected from the finalists, you then complete the visa application form and pay the filing fee. Individuals who obtain a visa may apply for U.S. citizenship.

Each Country has a Yearly Visa Limit

Some nationalities are ineligible to participate in the DV Lottery. Applicants who were born in any territory that has sent more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the last five years are not eligible to receive a diversity visa. Once the yearly visa quota is reached, additional visas may not be given out until the following visa period.

For the 2016 lottery, natives of the following countries were ineligible:

  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • China (mainland-born)
  • Colombia
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Haiti
  • India
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • South Korea
  • United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland)
  • Vietnam

Get the Application Process Done Right!

At The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C., our New Jersey Immigration Lawyer has decades of experience helping countless individuals facing difficult issues with visas and other legal matters. The DV lottery has many complexities in the procedure that can block someone from receiving permanent residency. With the help of our legal team, many of these issues may be avoided.

No matter how difficult or troubling your situation may be, call our firm and explore your legal options. Schedule a case consultation with our New Jersey visa and immigration attorney and discuss your circumstances today!

Send Us A Message

The right attorney can make all the difference. Contact our team today.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Conveniently Located At

4713 Bergenline Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087

Find Out About Your Immigration Options

Speak with our attorneys today to talk about your situation and we will walk you through your options.

American flag

Common Questions

  • I am a fiancée of a U.S. citizen living outside the U.S. How can I enter the U.S. to marry?

    Your fiancée must apply for a Fiancée Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa. The visa is for parties who have physically met within the past two years, have an intent to marry, and can document a relationship together. The visa is only for those who are residing abroad and cannot be used if the alien is in the US. The application is filed from within the US and when approved, will be forwarded to the American Consular where the alien fiancée will apply for the visa and be interviewed by an officer - usually about 8-12 months from the date of filing.

  • I live in the U.S. and I am marrying a U.S. citizen. How can I get a green card and become a permanent resident?

    Assuming you have entered the US with a visa or are protected by an old law called 245i, you may be eligible to adjust status to receive a green card from within the US. If you have been illegally present for more than 6 months, you cannot travel until the green card is in hand. Current processing time is about 5-7 months.

  • I live outside the U.S. and I married a U.S citizen. How can I come to the U.S. to live?

    To enter the US after a marriage to a US Citizen, you would go through Consular Processing. Paperwork would be filed in the US and forwarded to the embassy abroad to schedule an interview. The processing time frame from start to finish is between 9-11 months, depending on the embassy abroad. The process is document-intensive and requires careful attention to detail.

Read More

Conferences & Speaking Engagements

Staying Current to Provide Our Clients the Best Protection

Our Founding Attorney Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq. is one of the rare attorneys with as many as 30 plus years of experience in the field who possess the drive to constantly learn more to better advocate for his clients. Immigration law is a field that changes constantly as world politics unfold, new leaders front the United States and immigration processes change. In order to stay on top of this, Attorney Bennett remains an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) based in Washington D.C. and the New Jersey Chapter of AILA for which he is a former chapter chair. Attorney Bennett constantly attends conferences and presentations which analyze changes in immigration law and procedure to provide the most up to date advice for his clients. He is also a frequent speaker at civic events in New Jersey. His role in the immigration law community keeps his representation on the cutting edge.

Stellar Reviews

Don’t take our word for it – see what past clients are saying about the firm!