Family Based We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

Family-Based Green Card Lawyer in New Jersey

Backed by 30+ Years' Experience in U.S. Green Cards

If you have family members in the United States, you may be able to apply for a green card through many types of petitions. Family reunification has historically been the principal policy underlying U.S. immigration law. The Immigration and Nationality Act allows U.S. Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) to sponsor the immigration of family members to the United States-based upon those relationships.

If you are applying for a green card with your family, our New Jersey family-based green card attorney can help make the process more simple and less stressful. Applicants must submit specific personal documents and evidence that they will not become public charges in the U.S. In addition, before you are issued a visa, you will need to complete a medical exam and interview. Because no advance assurances can be given that a green card will be issued, we advise you not to make any travel plans until visas have been issued. For skilled support, turn to The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. -- with more than 30 years of experience, we are ready to answer your questions and guide you through the process!

Contact The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. online or call (800) 909-8129 to schedule a consultation with a Union City family-based green card lawyer. Se habla Español.

Who is Eligible for a Green Card?

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will issue a green card after they approve a petition filed by U.S. citizens for certain family members. After it is approved, the visa may be issued in as little as 90 days or as long as 25 years, depending on the categories mentioned below and the home country the immigrant applicant is from. However, not all family relationships serve as a basis to apply for Lawful Permanent Resident status.

A U.S. citizen can file a petition for the family members below:

  • Husband, wife, or child under the age of 21 (immediate relative);
  • A parent if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years of age (immediate relative);
  • An unmarried child over the age of 21 and their children (first preference);
  • Married child of any age and their children (third preference);
  • Brother or sister if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old and their spouses and children (fourth preference)

A permanent resident can file a petition for these family members:

  • Husband or wife, and unmarried children under the age of 21 (second preference A);
  • Unmarried child over the age of 21 (second preference B).

Who Are Immediate Relatives?

Aside from the notes above, "immediate relatives" also include widow or widowers of U.S. citizens who were married for at least two years prior to the citizen's death, who were not separated, remarried, and who file applications within two years of death.

The immediate relative category has no limit on the number of visas issued each year, and as a result, there is no wait other than the time it takes the USCIS to process the Visa. Under Section 245(i), a USC may petition for an immediate relative and they may adjust their status (receive a green card) here in the U.S. even if that relative has fallen out of status long ago. However, the immediate relative must have entered the U.S. legally.

Who Are Non-Immediate Relatives?

Aliens other than immediate relatives fall into one of the four limited family-based preference categories, and a visa will not be immediately available as there is a numerical limit on the number of visas issued each year.

More aliens want visas than are currently available. Therefore, there may be a long waiting period for the visa to be issued. When the application is received by the USCIS they will note the filing date, this is called the “priority date.” The applicant must wait for the priority date to be current before entering the U.S.

USCIS publishes a listing of current priority dates in the Visa Bulletin for application for those who are not immediate relatives. If the application was filed on or before the date listed in the Visa Bulletin, then the priority date is current and the USCIS should contact the applicant. Note: the dates on the Visa Bulletin are unpredictable. The dates may move forward or backward or they may not move at all. However, a new Visa Bulletin is issued by the State Department on the first day of each month, and it lists the most current priority dates.

Additional Requirements for the Visa Application

Specific Documents

All applicants must submit personal documents and more to evidence that they will not become public charges in the U.S. Examples include:

  • Passports
  • Birth certificates
  • Police certificates
  • Other civil documents

Medical Examinations

Before the issuance of an immigrant visa, every applicant, regardless of age, must undergo a medical examination. A doctor designated by the USCIS or Consulate will conduct the examination. Costs for such examinations must be borne by the applicant. If adjusting status from within the U.S. check the USCIS Civil Surgeons list.


USCIS and Consulates abroad conduct in-person interviews before issuing a green card. The interviews are detailed question and answer sessions in which the USCIS will attempt to determine whether the required relationship exists.

The Definition of "Child" in Immigration Law

A child is unmarried and was born in wedlock or was legitimized (parents married) before age 18 while in the father’s custody. Children born out of wedlock may obtain immigration benefits from the natural mother or the natural father and long as they have established a “bonafide” parent-child relationship before age 21.

Step-children are eligible to immigrate if the child was under 18 at the time of the marriage and the relationship can continue after the death of or divorce from the natural parent provided there has been an active parental interest. Adopted children are eligible to immigrate if adopted before the age of 16 and have been in the legal custody and resided with the adoptive parent for at least two years.

Orphans can be petitioned if under 16 and if both parents have died disappeared or abandoned the child. If there is a sole or surviving parent, he or she must be incapable of providing support for the child.

What is an Affidavit of Support?

All U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents who petition to have their family members admitted to the U.S. must act as sponsors and provide an Affidavit of Support for the alien.

The affidavit is required to assure the USCIS that the alien spouse will not become a public charge. The sponsor can be different than the petitioner. To qualify as a sponsor the individual must be 18 or older, a USC or LPR of the U.S. and live or hold domicile in the U.S. This document states that the petitioner can support the alien at 125% of the federal poverty income level. This amount varies according to family size and location.

In the event that the primary sponsor does not earn enough income, a co-sponsor may be used. The co-sponsor must meet the above requirements but does not need to be related to the alien. In the event of the death of the sponsor, a substitute Affidavit of Support may be submitted from another close relative only.

An affidavit is an enforceable contract that remains in effect until the alien becomes a citizen or has worked for more than 40 qualifying quarters as defined by the Social Security Act. The sponsor and/or co-sponsor can be required to reimburse any state or federal agency for most public benefits that the alien receives.

call a family-based green card lawyer in New Jersey: (800) 909-8129. Services available in Spanish.

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:How is a personal injury claim different from a personal injury lawsuit?

    A:Many victims are unsure what legal actions they should take to pursue fair compensation for their injuries. If you wish to hold the person responsible for your injuries liable, it is important to know the differences between a claim and a lawsuit.

  • Q:What is negligence?

    A:Negligence is one of the key aspects of any personal injury case. Negligence occurs when a person or party does not act with the proper amount of care and caution that a reasonable person would use to prevent harm or injury to another individual, or when the person or party does something harmful that a careful and reasonable person would not have done in a similar situation.

  • Q:How important is negligence to my case?

    A:Negligence is perhaps the most integral factor in an injury claim or lawsuit, and in order to fight for justice against the liable party (also called the defendant), you must first be able to prove their negligence and that it is the direct cause of your injuries.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.