Citizenship We've helped thousands of people just like you, and we can help you too.

New Jersey Citizenship Attorney

Working to Ensure an Easy and Stress Free Process

Naturalization is considered by many to be the ultimate benefit granted by USCIS to an immigrant. For this reason, it is important that you hire an experienced citizenship lawyer to review and process your case. Our firm has the experience necessary to review your immigration history and process your naturalization application as quickly as possible. Reach out to an citizenship attorney in New Jersey today.

When Can I Apply for My Citizenship?

Individuals may apply for Citizenship if they have met the following:

  • At least 18 years of age and able to read, write, and speak simple English
  • Basic understanding of U.S. history & civics
  • Been of good moral character throughout the time of residency
  • Lawful permanent resident for five years and has spent at least 2 ½ years in the U.S. or three years with 1 ½ of that time spent in the US if the green card was acquired through marriage with no trips outside the U.S. for more than 6 months

Our NJ immigration lawyer will discuss your immigration status and review your history to be sure that you qualify before any application is submitted to USCIS. Simple errors or inadvertent mistakes could have serious consequences and result in denials or deportation.

Criminal Violations Affect Good Moral Character

It’s important that you disclose all criminal arrests regardless of how minor you may think they were. All arrests must be disclosed to USCIS, even those expunged and sealed by a Court. Convictions of gambling, prostitution, smuggling, and other felonies may cause individuals to be considered of bad moral character and disqualify them from citizenship.

How to Apply for Citizenship

If you have met the requirements for applying for citizenship, you may begin the application process. A skilled citizenship lawyer can guide you with the process:

  1. Complete the Form N-400.
  2. Submit the Form N-400 and pay the fees.
  3. Go to the biometrics appointment, if applicable.
  4. Complete the interview.
  5. Receive a decision from USCIS regarding your application.
  6. Receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance.
  7. Take the Oath of Allegiance at a naturalization ceremony.

Written and Oral Examinations

Once an application is filed, the interview process will be scheduled. There are two tests as part of the interview: a written examination and an oral examination. During the oral examination, the interviewer will ask the applicant questions about American history and civics. During the written examination, the application will be tested on their ability to read, speak, write, and understand English.

Depending on your age and the length of time you have resided in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident, you may be able to take the examinations in your native language. In addition, there are exemptions from these tests for applicants who are able to show medical documentation of mental or physical disability.

10,000+ People Assisted with Immigration Processes

Starting in 1987, we have helped thousands of clients facing all kinds of complex legal issues. If you or a loved one needs assistance in applying for citizenship, our firm has the skills and experience you need to save you time, money, and aggravation. Every individual's circumstances are unique and the laws are constantly changing. Call us today for a consultation.

Obtain the legal solutions you have been looking for from the New Jersey immigration attorneys at our firm today. Simply call (800) 909-8129 to schedule your initial consultation.

Why Hire Our Firm?

We provide aggressive, yet compassionate representation to achieve successful results. 
  • Experienced & Proven Success Since 1987
  • Personally Assisted Thousands of Individuals
  • Tens of Millions Recovered for Our Clients

Common Questions

  • Q:I am a fiancée of a U.S. citizen living outside the U.S. How can I enter the U.S. to marry?

    A:Your fiancée must apply for a Fiancée Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa. The visa is for parties who have physically met within the past two years, have an intent to marry, and can document a relationship together. The visa is only for those who are residing abroad and cannot be used if the alien is in the US. The application is filed from within the US and when approved, will be forwarded to the American Consular where the alien fiancée will apply for the visa and be interviewed by an officer - usually about 8-12 months from the date of filing.

  • Q:I live in the U.S. and I am marrying a U.S. citizen. How can I get a green card and become a permanent resident?

    A:Assuming you have entered the US with a visa or are protected by an old law called 245i, you may be eligible to adjust status to receive a green card from within the US. If you have been illegally present for more than 6 months, you cannot travel until the green card is in hand. Current processing time is about 5-7 months.

  • Q:I live outside the U.S. and I married a U.S citizen. How can I come to the U.S. to live?

    A:To enter the US after a marriage to a US Citizen, you would go through Consular Processing. Paperwork would be filed in the US and forwarded to the embassy abroad to schedule an interview. The processing time frame from start to finish is between 9-11 months, depending on the embassy abroad. The process is document-intensive and requires careful attention to detail.

Don't Make the Mistake of Hiring the Wrong Attorney

One minor mistake can put the entire legal process on hold. Contact our seasoned attorney to ensure you're in great hands.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.