Call for a Consultation 800.909.8129
Se Habla Español

Temporary Protected Status Dedicated to protecting your rights.

We will handle your case with the personal attention you deserve.

Temporary Protected Status

New Jersey Immigration Attorney Fighting for You

Political ties aside, the United States has long wanted to provide asylum for citizens of foreign countries experiencing civil unrest or some other form of widespread hardship. One of the ways in which the United States does is this is through temporary protected status (TPS) for foreign nationals.

This is the idea that the United States is lending a hand to those forced to live in unlivable conditions in their home country. Of course, certain conditions must apply, but once you qualify for protected status, you may enter the United States and work for at least as long as the situation continues in your home country.

Breaking News: Hondurans who want to retain their Temporary Protected Status through the effective termination date of January 5, 2020, must re-register between 5 June 2018 and 6 August 2018. Call (800) 909-8129 for more information.

Conditions from the Department of Homeland Security

The Department of Homeland Security is the main international channel for the United States. The Secretary of this department can give citizens of a foreign country the opportunity for protected status if certain conditions are met by that home country.

One can obtain TPS if their country is experiencing:

  • A natural or environmental disaster
  • Ongoing armed conflict
  • Another extraordinary and temporary condition

The Secretary of Homeland Security, along with other large powers in the United States government, keeps an eye out for nations who may need this, and if qualified, the will set a designated amount of time where TPS can be obtained and enjoyed. During this time, those under TPS cannot be removed from the United States forcibly, may be authorized to work, and may be authorized to travel.

What Countries Are Designated for TPS?

This changes somewhat often because their designations are temporary. The most recent list from the Department of Homeland Security lists 10 countries designated for temporary protected status.

The 10 currently designated countries include:

  • Yemen
  • Syria
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Somalia
  • Nicaragua
  • Nepal
  • Honduras
  • Haiti
  • El Salvador

If you are a citizen in one of these countries and meet all of the other eligibility requirements, an immigration lawyer at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett wants to help you obtain Temporary Protected Status and help you avoid the tumultuous, often deadly climate of your home country until the matter is settled.

Call our offices today at (800) 909-8129 or fill out our online contact form to begin this very important process.

Send Us A Message

The right attorney can make all the difference. Contact our team today.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Conveniently Located At

4713 Bergenline Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087

Find Out About Your Immigration Options

Speak with our attorneys today to talk about your situation and we will walk you through your options.

American flag

Common Questions

  • I am a fiancée of a U.S. citizen living outside the U.S. How can I enter the U.S. to marry?

    Your fiancée must apply for a Fiancée Visa, also known as the K-1 Visa. The visa is for parties who have physically met within the past two years, have an intent to marry, and can document a relationship together. The visa is only for those who are residing abroad and cannot be used if the alien is in the US. The application is filed from within the US and when approved, will be forwarded to the American Consular where the alien fiancée will apply for the visa and be interviewed by an officer - usually about 8-12 months from the date of filing.

  • I live in the U.S. and I am marrying a U.S. citizen. How can I get a green card and become a permanent resident?

    Assuming you have entered the US with a visa or are protected by an old law called 245i, you may be eligible to adjust status to receive a green card from within the US. If you have been illegally present for more than 6 months, you cannot travel until the green card is in hand. Current processing time is about 5-7 months.

  • I live outside the U.S. and I married a U.S citizen. How can I come to the U.S. to live?

    To enter the US after a marriage to a US Citizen, you would go through Consular Processing. Paperwork would be filed in the US and forwarded to the embassy abroad to schedule an interview. The processing time frame from start to finish is between 9-11 months, depending on the embassy abroad. The process is document-intensive and requires careful attention to detail.

Read More

Conferences & Speaking Engagements

Staying Current to Provide Our Clients the Best Protection

Our Founding Attorney Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq. is one of the rare attorneys with as many as 30 plus years of experience in the field who possess the drive to constantly learn more to better advocate for his clients. Immigration law is a field that changes constantly as world politics unfold, new leaders front the United States and immigration processes change. In order to stay on top of this, Attorney Bennett remains an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) based in Washington D.C. and the New Jersey Chapter of AILA for which he is a former chapter chair. Attorney Bennett constantly attends conferences and presentations which analyze changes in immigration law and procedure to provide the most up to date advice for his clients. He is also a frequent speaker at civic events in New Jersey. His role in the immigration law community keeps his representation on the cutting edge.

Stellar Reviews

Don’t take our word for it – see what past clients are saying about the firm!