Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect in New Jersey
Experienced Attorneys Fighting for You & Your Loved Ones
Tragically, countless nursing home patients are harmed each year by abuse or neglect from the very people entrusted with their care. If you suspect that your loved one may be suffering because of the negligence or wrongdoing of their care facility, it is important to take notice and contact a dedicated New Jersey personal injury attorney.
There are four main types of harm that nursing home residents can sustain:
- Neglect: when nursing home workers knowingly or accidentally fail to properly feed, clothe, or bathe patients, or when they fail to fully care for patients' medical conditions
- Physical Abuse: the most common types of physical abuse include beating, shoving, sexual abuse, and the forced ingestion of medicine or food
- Mental Abuse: Patients suffer from mental abuse when they are verbally or emotionally threatened, insulted, humiliated, mistreated, or denied their rights to exercise personal choice
- Financial Abuse: this refers to nursing home workers coercing inclusion into the residents’ wills and stealing money and valuable possessions from their rooms.
Warning Signs of Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
In many cases, patients who are being abused or neglected by their caretakers are afraid to speak up and reveal the situation to their loved ones. There are certain red flags, however, that may indicate your elderly relative is being mistreated or harmed in their care facility.
Some of the signs of mistreatment include:
- Poor hygiene
- Sudden change in mood or temperament
- Sudden change in weight
- Loss of hair
- Emotional detachment
- Bruising or bleeding
- Unexplained cuts, abrasions, burns, broken bones, or infections
- Unexplained trips to the emergency room
- Disappearance of personal possessions and valuables
- Unusual or unexplained financial transactions
Is Your Elderly Relative Being Abused?
Our team at The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C. is committed to helping victims of nursing home abuse obtain justice. Attorney Bennett has been fighting for the injured since 1987 and can use his thorough knowledge of the law to hold the negligent or abuse nursing home workers accountable for their heinous actions. If your loved one is exhibiting any of the signs of abuse or you have other reason to believe they are being mistreated, do not wait to enlist skilled legal guidance.
We can assist you in holding the nursing home staff liable through a personal injury claim and fight for the compensation your loved one deserves. Contact our firm today to discuss your case and available options.