• Awards & Associations

    Excellent Service. Excellent Reputation

Selection to the Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomas Reuters. A description of their select methodology can be found here. Best Lawyers list is issued by Best Lawyers . A description of their selection methodology can be found here. AVVO rating are issued by AVVO. AVVO's rating methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of N.J.

J-1 Visa Attorney in New Jersey

Are you a foreign national exchange visitor?

Do you have an offer from a US company that will allow you to train in the US for a position abroad?

Are you seeking to change your J-1 visa status?

One type of student visa used for people wishing work and study in the United States is the J-1 Exchange Trainee Visa. Typically they are used for people who want to engage in summer work or work as an Au Pair. This type of visa must be sponsored by an exchange visitors' program designated by the U.S. Department of State. Visa holders are allowed to enter the US to gain experience in their field of study. The program must be pre-approved by the sponsoring agency and must contain a training program along with a cultural aspect. Some J-1 visas contain a two (2) year home residency requirement at the conclusion of the program, many do not.

To find out if you qualify for this type of visa and to have your application prepared correctly, choose an immigration lawyer in New Jersey to help you with the process.

Who Can Apply for a J-1 Visa?

The most common applicants approved for this type of visa include:

  • Students pursuing full-time formal course
  • Short-term research scholars coming to the U.S. to lecture, go to seminars, workshops and such , for as much as six months
  • Trainees coming for a structured training program presented by a selected sponsor (limited to 18 months)
  • Teachers who are teaching full-time in an established primary or secondary school (up to 3 years and 30 days)
  • Professors and research scholars (also up to 3 years and 30 days)
  • Specialists in a field or with a skill (limited to 1 year plus 30 days)
  • Alien physicians who graduated from foreign medical schools wanting training at a U.S. accredited school of medicine (stay limited to 7 years plus 30 days)
  • International visitors, such as potential leaders wanting to engage in discussions, consultations, professional meetings, conferences, workshops and travel (stay limited to 1 year plus 30 days)
  • Government visitors (stay limited to 18 months)
  • Camp counselors (stay limited to 4 months)
  • Au pairs 18 to 26 years old, who are secondary school graduates and who are proficient in English (limited to one year)

Can I extend or change my J-1 Visa status?

It may be possible for you to change your visa category from a J-1 to a F-1 student visa or J-1 to a B-2 visitor visa. In some cases you may not have to leave the US. You can apply assuming:

  1. You were lawfully admitted and have maintained status;
  2. You were not convicted for any crime that would make you inadmissible;
  3. You submit an application to change status prior to your I-94 expiration date;
  4. You are not subject to the two (2) year home residency rule;
  5. Your passport is valid through the period requested;
  6. You meet the requirements for the new visa type.

There are many documents and steps that have to be taken in order to receive a temporary visa just to be able to enter the U.S. and it can be very complicated. Our New Jersey immigration attorney can simplify the process for you.

We have helped many J-1 visa holders change status and remain or reenter the US.

We have been successfully assisting clients in the New Jersey area since 1987 for their immigration needs and are readily available to assist you any time. We look forward to hearing from you. For help with your J-1 exchange visa application, contact a New Jersey immigration lawyer today.