• Awards & Associations

    Excellent Service. Excellent Reputation

Selection to the Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomas Reuters. A description of their select methodology can be found here. Best Lawyers list is issued by Best Lawyers . A description of their selection methodology can be found here. AVVO rating are issued by AVVO. AVVO's rating methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of N.J.

Same Sex Marriage Immigration Lawyer in New Jersey

Visas and Green Cards for Same-Sex Couples

Major legal changes have provided new immigration benefits to gay and lesbian married couples. Same-sex spouses now have access to immigration benefits that were previously only available to heterosexual couples. If one spouse is already a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, a couple may use their marital status to obtain a visa or green card for the other spouse.

With the help of our New Jersey immigration lawyer, same-sex couples can get the help they need to resolve their visa issues quickly and efficiently. At The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C., our team has helped more than 10,000 individuals with their immigration matters. Contact our firm when you are ready to explore your legal options whether it is through marriage to a USC from within the US or abroad or through a K-1 fiancée visa!

Defense of Marriage Act Ruled Unconstitutional

The new access to immigration benefits stems from the recent U.S Supreme Court decision that declared the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. The ruling was made on July 26, 2013. Previous to this ruling, gay marriages were exempt from taking advantage of immigration benefits such as K-1 visas and green cards through marriage to US citizens.

K Visa Eligibility

Spouses of gay marriage are now be eligible for K-1 fiancé visas and K-3 spouse visas. For each of these visas, the applicant's will have to show satisfactory proof to the USCIS that the marriage is valid. You will also need to have proof of a medical examination, although vaccinations may not be required. Every individual's circumstance is different. Therefore its important that you work with an attorney who possesses years of valuable experience in immigration law. Any misstep in the application process may thwart the applicant's ability to obtain a K-1 or K-3 nonimmigrant visa in a timely fashion, which ends up costing more time and money.

Green Card Eligibility for Same-Sex Spouses

Gay and lesbian couples may now apply for green cards and obtain permanent residency. The green card may be issued for a 2-year conditional resident status, or a 10-year permanent resident status depending upon the length of the marriage prior to adjusting status. The green card process is the first step towards citizenship. Those who hold a green card for three years and remain married (5 years if divorced) and resided in the U.S. for at least half of that time, you may apply for naturalization and begin the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.

We Have Helped Thousands of Clients Since 1987

At The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C., our New Jersey Immigration Attorney has helped many gay and lesbian spouses take advantage of their new immigration benefits.

If you are a same-sex spouse or fiancée who needs assistance so that you and your significant other can have a life together in the U.S., we can help! Schedule a consultation today so that we can provide you with the legal support you need! Our New Jersey immigration attorney has more than 25 years of experience in multiple areas of immigration law and visa matters.