• Awards & Associations

    Excellent Service. Excellent Reputation

Selection to the Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomas Reuters. A description of their select methodology can be found here. Best Lawyers list is issued by Best Lawyers . A description of their selection methodology can be found here. AVVO rating are issued by AVVO. AVVO's rating methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of N.J.

Consular Processing Vs. Adjustment of Status

New Jersey Immigration Lawyer

The United States is a wonderful country that welcomes immigrants from foreign nations. In this country, nearly anybody can pursue the "American dream" providing they follow the appropriate paths to U.S. citizenship. In the U.S. there are two distinct paths to obtaining permanent resident status, otherwise known as a green card. An attorney can provide you with the necessary information and tools to streamline the immigration process for you.

If you are a beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and have an immigrant visa number available, then you may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to enter the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. This process is referred to as "consular processing."

On the other hand, if you are already in the United States and are eligible, then you can apply for permanent resident status without the inconvenience of having to return to your home country to finish the processing. This pathway is referred to "adjustment of status."

Reasons to Pursue Permanent Residence

There are different reasons why a person may pursue permanent residence within the United States. In most cases immigrants become eligible for a green card when a petition is filed on their behalf by a family member or an employer, while others come to this country through refugee or asylum status. In any case, obtaining permanent residence is usually of the highest priority for the immigrant who is seeking a green card. Often times a spouse, a son or daughter, other family members or a promising job awaits them in the United States. For this reason, a seasoned immigration attorney can provide immeasurable benefits to the person seeking permanent residence status.

Get Help for Consular Processing

At The Law Offices of Lloyd E. Bennett, Esq., P.C., our New Jersey immigration lawyer can help people who are seeking non-immigrant visas, immigrant visas, and green cards for the purpose of living and working here in the United States. We understand how important it is to submit your application as soon as possible and without any errors. Our firm has extensive experience in U.S. immigration laws; therefore, we can help you prepare for an application of a U.S. visa or permanent residency whether you are already here in the United States or overseas.

Our firm can assist the following individuals in consular processing:

  • Sons, daughters, parents, brothers, sisters of U.S. citizens;
  • Spouses or unmarried children of permanent residents;
  • Foreign nationals with approved visa petitions by their U.S. employers;
  • Business executives;
  • Tourists;
  • Athletes;
  • Educators;
  • Students;
  • Foreign government officials; and
  • Many more

Immigration-related issues can be very daunting and complex. Our New Jersey Immigration Attorney is prepared to answer all of your questions and steer you in the right path for obtaining a visa. We understand how vital obtaining an immigrant or non-immigrant visa is to you and your family and we are here to make the application process as streamlined as possible for you.

Contact a New Jersey immigration lawyer from the firm to learn more about consular processing.